7th Moscow Pre-Moot
Lomonosov Moscow State University hosted 7th Moscow Pre-Moot, which took place on 26-28 February 2016 at the new modern premises of the Faculty of Law. Moscow Pre-Moot represents training sessions to the world’s leading moot competition on private law and arbitration – Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot held annually in Vienna. It consists of a series of simulated arbitration proceedings arising from the dispute between the parties to the international sale of goods. This year the moot proceedings were governed by VIAC Rules.
It was our honor that Secretary General of VIAC Dr.iur Manfred Heider attended Moscow Pre-moot who presented arguments on the Conference “Document production and recovery of damages in arbitration”.
The following teams participated for Moscow Pre-moot:
- International University “MITSO” (Belarus);
- University of Neuchatel (Switzerland);
- Westminster International University in Tashkent (Uzbekistan);
- University of Passau (Germany);
- University of Belgrade (Serbia);
- Belarussian State University (Belarus);
- Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSU) (Russia);
- MGIMO-University (Russia);
- Utrecht University (Netherlands);
- Charles University in Prague (Czech Republic);
- Russian State University of Justice (Russia);
- Karl-Franzens Univeristy Graz (Austria);
- Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (Russia);
- National Research University Higher School of Economics (Russia);
- University of Sao Paulo (Brazil);
- Kutafin Moscow State Law University (Russia)
To bring the participants a little bit closer to a success in Vienna, on 26 February 2016 the Vis Moot Workshop was organized where renowned Vienna arbitrators gave the tips to participants. The Workshop in practical skills was followed by the Conference devoted to some issues raised by Willem C Vis organizers this year.
To make the 7th Moscow Pre-moot a more exciting event the organizing committee arranged a cultural and social program: guided tours around VDNKH and historic center of Moscow, ice skating at the Red Square, a tour to Lomonosov University and surroundings (including a photo shoot), journey via Moscow tube and drinks under the roof of one Moscow-City skyscrapers, welcome reception at the restaurant with modern Russia cuisine and awards banquet at the panoramic restaurant.
Based on the scores given to the teams and individual speakers (which plead for both claimant and respondent at least once) the organizers of the Pre-Moot announce the three top teams and speakers of the Pre-Moot. This year the winner was the team of University of Passau (Germany). University of Belgrade team finished second, and the Higher School of Economics team (Moscow branch) – 3rd.
The Best individual speaker of this year was Felix Hofreither (University of Passau), the second – Elena Todic (University of Belgrade), and the 3rd place went to Tamara Kulick (MGIMO-University).
Organizing the Pre-Moot would be impossible without the support of its partners. The organizing committee would like to thank the main partners – Monastyrsky, Zyuba, Stepanov & Partners Law Firm, Cleary Gottlieb, Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners, White & Case, Morgan Lewis & Bockius, Lidings, Ivanyan & Partners who provided financial and organizational support. Information partners of the pre-moot were zakon.ru, Russian Law Journal, Consultant Plus.